Sunday 11 November 2012

Remembrance ~ Home of the free, because of the Brave

A Day of Remembrance


Every year on November 11, Canadians pause in a silent moment of remembrance for the men and women who have served, and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace. We honour those who fought for Canada in the First World War (1914-1918), the Second World War (1939-1945), and the Korean War (1950-1953), as well as those who have served since then. More than 1,500,000 Canadians have served our country in this way, and more than 100,000 have died. They gave their lives and their futures so that we may live in peace.



http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/history/other/remember


The Canadian Goverment site about Remembrance Day lists the first group of Veterans that we honour being the ones that fought during WWI .... but my thought and prayers during November 11 go back farther than that.   I come from a very proud Military family with documented references back to the American Revolution and the War of 1812.

it didnt dawn on me until I was writting this blog that I have another "3 Generations" to honour, especially today.
    William James Reid  (1881-1967)
~ my Great-Grandfather, was a career soldier.   from what I've been told, he never met a war he didnt like !!
 the picture shown of him here is dated 1899, and was taken while he was a member of the GMP (Garrison Military Police) during the Boer War

1902 ~ he was with Regiment #912 of the 2nd Canadian Mounted Riffles stationed in South Africa

he spent 15 years with the 12th North York Rangers (as per his Attestation papers when he enlisted for WWI in 1914)

in April of 1916 he was struck by a mortar and laid in a foxhole for 2 days before being found & brought to hosptial.   there was shrapnel in his chest, head and his leg was severly crushed/broken.    just before Christmas of that same year, he surprised his wife by walking thru the front door of their home .... a plate in his head, and only 1 1/2 legs (leg was amputated just above the knee) .... "Merry Christmas Dear, I'm home !!" (apparently my G-Grandmother fainted at the site of him walking in the house on only 1 leg)

John Henry Reid (1910 - 1942)

~ my Grandfather.   I grew up hearing very little about my Grandfather.   He died when my Dad was very young, leaving my Grandmother with 4 children under the age of 4.

this picture was taken outside of The Armouries in Hamilton.    it's interesting seeing him holding a bugle and the drum in the background.   I'm "assuming" that it was taken prior to them being shiped overseas ... he was a member of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry, R.C.I.C.

Jack was killed on August 19, 1942, Dieppe France.   his death certificate states that he was "Previously reported missing in action now for official purposes presumed killed in action".





~ My Dad ... the 3rd Generation to serve in the Armed Forces.  served one tour with the 82nd Airborne from 1957-1959    What else can I say, this is just one of many reasons why I'm so proud of my Father <3
 
3rd Generation Soldier Boy

1958 ~ Ft Bragg, North Carolina















More Family Military History ....

Christian Price UEL (1757-1832) ~ my 5th Great Grandfather
  •  1784 ~ Butler's Rangers (as per New York, Genealogical Records, 1675-1920)
  • 1786 ~ From The Old United Empire Loyalist List: Price, Christian.... Home District, Butler's Rangers, wife, P.L.N. 1786, Niagara stamped book.
Oliver Tallman (1737 - 1788) ~ my 5th? Great Grandfather (not proven)
  • the son of Jeremiah Tallman, was born at Portsmouth, R.I., June 15, 1737. He resided at Long Branch, Monmouth County, N.J., prior to the Revolutionary War, where he owned a considerable estate. This he forfeited by becoming a Royalist.  During the Battle of Monmouth, he fought on the British side, while his son, William fought under Washington.  At the end of the war his estates were confiscated and sold, and he, accompanied with two of his sons, Peter and Daniel, withdrew to Canada, on the North shore of Lake Ontario, near St. Catharines, where lands were ceded to him for his loyalty to the Crown.
William Tallman (1810-1893) ~ my 3rd Great Grandfather
  • Private in the home guards under Captain Huston & Gordon.   stood one of the first sentry on the heights at the rebellion of 1837-38

Henry Downie Watson (1873-1935) ~ my Maternal Great Grandfather
    
    1914 ~ Henry Downie Watson ("x")
  • joined the 3rd Battalion scottish Rifles in 1890 at the age of 16
  • 1900-1902 ~ 3rd Volunteer Battalion H.L.I (Highland Light Infantry)
  • 1900-1914 ~ 7th Battalion HLI (during summer training)
  • 14 December 1901 ~ 3rd H.L.I. ~ mobilized and readied for service in the war against the Boers in South Africa (January 1902 ~ disembodied and sent home)
  • July 1902 ~ 4th Battalion H.L.I ~ regiment took part in the Coronation celebrations of King Edward VII, and recieved their colours from the Duke of Connaught, their honourary Colonel
  • May 1909 ~ Lance-Sergeant of A Company ~ selected as on of the Colour Party to proceed to Windsor Castle by London England to receive from the hands of His Majesty, The King, King Edward VII, King's and Regimental Colours
  • 1918 ~ Royal Air Force, 2nd Class Air Craftsman
  • 4 March 1919 ~ completed service with the Royal Air Force, and also with the Britsh Army

Final Note ....

I dont mean to ignore all of my cousins, uncles and aunts that have been part of the Armed Forces .... Army, Navy, Air Force .... I'm honoured to call you family, and proud of your contribution.   It's amazing, once I sat down to think about it, how many family members I have that chose the Armed Forces as their career.

http://daliscar.deviantart.com/art/Remembrance-Day-Poppy-Day-67984839

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are related. Do you have a way I can contact you?

    ReplyDelete