Tuesday 16 October 2012

3 Generations ... Grandmother, Mother, Daughter

my blog is called "3 Generations" because of my maternal Grandmother.   as the story goes, many years ago, my Grandmother was showing a picture of herself, my Mum and me to my Dad.   she apparently went into great detail about this being a picture of "3 generations", how and why it contained 3 generations.    needless to say, it ended up being a silly joke, resulting in some teasing at my Grandmother's expense.    that being said, it's a very important phrase to me, it means family, it means history ... and apparently it can not be taken lightly as it can be rather rare.   

the last time the women in my family had 3 generations like this ended in 1855 when my 4-times Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Price-Culp, passed away leaving her Daughter Catherine Culp-Tallman (1813-1897) and her Granddaughter Mary Ann Tallman-Woon (1837-1877).   Sadly, Mary Ann passed away only 5 years after the birth of her Daughter (my Great Grandmother), Mary Louise Woon-Elliott (1872-1941).    Mary Louise passed away 6 weeks prior to the birth of her Grandaughter (my Mum).



December 11, 1963 ~ Doris Adelia, Jacqueline Louise & Della Christine .... the 1st "3-generations since 1855, and we were fortunately to have each other for 15 years.   Unfortunately, on October 16 1979, my Grandmother passed away.

but, life goes on, and apparently so does tradition .... exactly 12 years later, we were blessed to have "3 generations" in our family once more.   October 16th 1991, my Daughter was born.    

I remember when I first realized that my daughter was born on the same date that my Grandmother passed away, and how sad I thought it was, how I wanted to avoid my daughter seeing that when we were doing family tree research together.    Today my baby turns 21, she has grown into a beautiful young woman, and I am SO proud of her.   As I look back at the 3-generations I had in my youth, and the 3-generations that my daughter has had her entire life, I often think of my Grandmother and how much she would have loved to been part of my daughter's life .... then I wonder, is the date a co-incidence?   after all, my daughter was born 3 weeks past her due date, and I was in labour for 3 days ... what the heck was she waiting for ??!!    Has my Grandmother been more involved in our current 3-generations that we're aware of ?

I suppose by the time I find out if my Grandmother has been watching over us it will be too late to blog about it .... but isn't it a wonderful feeling, to think that passed family members are still with us, at least in spirit.

Happy 21st Birthday to my baby girl, with special thoughts & prayers for my Grandmother ... 2 amazing women that I have been blessed to have in my family, and in my life <3

Della & Jacquie
if you want to read a wee bit more about my baby on her 18th-birthday

Della & Kelsey

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this posting.
    My father (he's still alive and kicking at 95) says there is a FIVE generation photo of his family, with him as a small boy, around somewhere. His aunt had the photo, and I've recently learned that her material was passed along to another cousin, so the search is on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    my apologies for this random comment and I hope it reaches you ... I found this photo via a Google search and tracked it back to this blog. I was wondering if I may use this photo? I am one half of fringe theatre company, Out of Kilter Theatre, based in North Manchester, England. We are currently working on a project, 'Small Histories #1' and I'm putting together a flyer for a script in hand performance of the piece on 16th November (in Rochdale, North Manchester). I wondered if I may use this photo for the flyer (and, possibly, on posters if we get funding for full production). The piece is about six generations of women ... their memories, experiences, relationships ... their 'small histories' and this image would be perfect to convey something of the feel of the work. If you want to see a bit more about us our website is www.outofkiltertheatre.co.uk. My e-mail address is info@outofkiltertheatre.co.uk.
    Thanks,
    Mark Murphy.

    ReplyDelete